Web based GPS tracking services for a fleet of vehiclesOpenGTS ("Open GPS Tracking System") is the first available open source project designed specifically to provide web-based GPS tracking services for a "fleet" of vehicles. To date, OpenGTS has been downloaded and put to use in over 90 countries around the world to track many 1000's of vehicles/assets around all 7 Continents. The types of vehicles and assets tracked include taxis, delivery vans, trucks/trailers, farm equipment, personal vehicles, service vehicles, containers, ships, ATVs, personal tracking, cell phones, and more.
While OpenGTS was designed to fill the needs of an entry-level fleet tracking system, it is also very highly configurable and scalable to larger enterprises as well.
• Web-based authentication: Each account can support multiple users, and each user has its own login password and controlled access to sections within their account.
• GPS tracking device independent: Devices from different manufacturers can be tracked simultaneously.
• Customizable web-page decorations: The look and feel of the tracking web site can easily be customized to fit the motif of the specific company.
• Customizable mapping service: OpenGTS comes with support for OpenLayers/OpenStreetMap in addition to support for Google Maps, Microsoft Virtual Earth, and Mapstraction (which provides mapping support for MultiMap, Map24, MapQuest, and more). Within the OpenGTS framework, other mapping service providers can also easily be integrated.
• Customizable reports: Using an internal XML-based reporting engine, detail and summary reports can be customized to show historical data for a specific vehicle, or for the fleet.
• Customizable geofenced areas: Custom geofenced areas (geozones) can be set up to provide arrival/departure notification (additional coding may be required). Each geozone can also be named to provide a custom 'address' which is displayed on reports when inside the geozone (for instance "Main Office").
• Operating system independent: OpenGTS itself is written entirely in Java, using technologies such as Apache Tomcat for web service deployment, and MySQL for the datastore. As such, OpenGTS will run on any system which supports these technologies (including Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and more).
• i18n Compliant: OpenGTS is i18n compliant and supports easy localization (L10N) to languages other than English. Languages supported currently include Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Serbian, and Turkish.
Editor's review for OpenGTS
Global Positioning System or GPS gives you the possibility to find an object location anywhere on the globe. It is really one of the most important discoveries of the century. If you use vehicles as a multifunctional map, the advantage this technology provides you is huge. I personally swear by my automobile’s GPS device because without it, I will be a lost expat sheep in this foreign land! But what happens when you own a taxi company, a transport company or any business that involves the usage of vehicles? You need a powerful tracking and management system that will allow you to track all the movements of the vehicles as well as their routes. OpenGTS is the right tool for this job and it can be used within any company, whether it’s small, medium or large.
OpenGTS is one of the most comprehensive GPS tracking applications available at the moment and the idea behind it is pretty simple. Any company that uses vehicles must know of their movement constantly. Without such a tracking application, the employees can secretly use the vehicles for their own personal purposes. As a result, your company may lose precious money or see a drop in workers’ performance as they sneak out to carry out personal errands with the company vehicles. The use of a GPS tracking application is of great importance. OpenGTS has many great features which make it stand out from the crowd. Firstly, the support for Google Maps is one of its core features. This means that you can view the position of an object directly on a Google Map. It works great because using Google Maps, you automatically gain access to all its features and options.
Let’s analyze other useful features OpenGTS incorporates. It provides you web-based authentication which means that multiple accounts can have multiple users, each with their personal login passwords. Access can also be restricted to certain sections. The mapping service is customizable and in addition to the built in support for Google Maps, OpenGTS also offers full support for OpenStreetMap, OpenLayers, Microsoft Virtual Earth and Mapstraction. Another useful aspect of this tracking tool is that you can also customize the design of the web page and the GPS reports. Various companies have specific motifs and these can be incorporated into the feel and look of the website.
What would a GPS tracking tool be without the support for remote GPS tracking devices? Fortunately, OpenGTS does very well in this department. Here are just some examples of supported GPS tracking devices: Aspicore GSM Tracker, V-Sun 3338 Personal Tracker, Android App "GPS2OpenGTS”, iCare G3300 Personal Tracker and many more. Furthermore, many more devices can be implemented beside the standard ones through custom coding. These features make OpenGTS a well designed and powerful GPs tracking tool. Another plus of this application is that it is deliciously free and this is worth mentioning because there are many GPS tracking tools out there that come with their own maps and with those, their use is limited. Everyone knows Google Maps and OpenGTS takes advantage of this in a very good way.
All in all, OpenGTS is a great product for monitoring any business that incorporates vehicles into its operations. Monitoring them, whether they are taxis, personal vehicles, vans, ships or ATV’s is important. Don’t let your vehicles wander off and track them with the best GPS tracking software – OpenGTS!