May 20, 2013
All time downloads
Description of WireShark 1.8.7
Great network protocol analyzer
Wireshark is the worlds foremost network protocol analyzer, and is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many industries and educational institutions. Wireshark development thrives thanks to the contributions of networking experts across the globe. It is the continuation of a project that started in 1998.
• Data can be captured "off the wire" from a live network connection, or read from a capture file.
• Wireshark can read capture files from tcpdump (libpcap), NAI's Sniffer (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer Pro, NetXray, Sun snoop and atmsnoop, Shomiti/Finisar Surveyor, AIX's iptrace, Microsoft's Network Monitor, Novell's LANalyzer, RADCOM's WAN/LAN Analyzer, HP-UX nettl, i4btrace from the ISDN4BSD project, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, the pppd log (pppdump-format), the AG Group's/WildPacket's EtherPeek/TokenPeek/AiroPeek, or Visual Networks' Visual UpTime. It can also read traces made from Lucent/Ascend WAN routers and Toshiba ISDN routers, as well as the text output from VMS's TCPIPtrace utility and the DBS Etherwatch utility for VMS. Any of these files can be compressed with gzip and Ethereal will decompress them on the fly.
• Live data can be read from Ethernet, FDDI, PPP, Token-Ring, IEEE 802.11, Classical IP over ATM, and loopback interfaces (at least on some platforms; not all of those types are supported on all platforms).
• Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode "tethereal" program.
• Capture files can be programmatically edited or converted via command-line switches to the "editcap" program.
• 602 protocols can currently be dissected
• Output can be saved or printed as plain text or PostScript.
• Data display can be refined using a display filter.
• Display filters can also be used to selectively highlight and color packet summary information.
• All or part of each captured network trace can be saved to disk.
WireShark video preview
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
What is new in version 1.8.7
Security updates and new features
Add your review
Top popularity in Network